Summer Skin Care: Prevent. Treat. Maintain
Summer in India can be brutal on your skin! Our approach to summer skincare is – prevent, treat and maintain. Learn about how you can prevent skin damage in the summer, treat any that occur and maintain healthy, glowing skin through the summer months!
- Wear Sunscreen: Use an SPF30 or higher whenever you are going out in the sun. Choose a sunscreen that is suitable for your skin type. Your skincare products should be non-comedogenic; the label may also say “oil free” or “won’t clog pores.” Avoid going out during the day between 10am-2pm when the sunlight is at its harshest.
- Prevent Acne Breakouts: blot sweat from your skin with a clean towel or cloth. Wiping sweat off aggressively can irritate your skin, which can lead to a breakout. Wash sweaty clothes, headbands, towels, etc. before using them again
- Hydrate your skin: dry, hot outdoor air as well as indoor air conditioning can dry out your skin. Keep your skin moisturised when indoors, and wear a good sunscreen when outdoors (cannot stress this enough!). Use gentle cleansers and skin care products which are suitable to your skin type.
- Prevent prickly heat or heat rash: this is caused by blocked sweat glands, which trap sweat causing a rash and tiny, itchy bumps. Stay dry and cool as much as possible, and don’t let sweat fester on your body. Wear light-weight, loose-fitting cotton clothes.
- Sunburns: You know you have sunburn if your skin gets red and sensitive. Sunburns are not only painful, but can cause long-lasting damage to the skin, including pigmentations. Treat sunburns with cooling and hydrating products made for after-sun care. Aloe vera gel has shown to protect and heal skin. Keep yourself hydrated, and avoid further time in the sun while your skin heals.
- Pigmentation: melasma, tan spots and uneven skin tones are some of the most annoying summer skin problems. At Skin ‘n Smiles, we offer a range of treatments to address pigmentation, and our doctors will suggest the one most suitable to your individual concerns and needs. Some treatments like mesolite, or a gentle peel like claze peel have been very effective in treating and keeping pigmentation under control.
- Skin brightening: not everyone looks good with a tan, and often time outdoors can lead to an uneven, pigmented skin tone. Salon facials that use harsh chemical bleaches are very bad for your skin, and rather than solve the problem, can create new ones! Medically-supervised skin brightening treatments like Mesolite, Laser Toning and Clearlift are much safer and more effective in improving your skin tone, and bring out your natural glow.
- Anti-aging: One of the most damaging effects of frequent sun-exposure is wrinkled, sun-damaged and aging skin. Thankfully we have treatment options – like Clearlift Plus – to prevent and reverse signs of aging. Damaged caused by the sun is irreversible, however its signs can be reduce with treatments to tighten and rejuvenate skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age-spots. One of the most effective treatments for this is Infrared Therapy. Coupled with Aqua Infusion, and you get a refreshing boost of Vitamin C in your skin too!
- Hydrate: The key to keeping your skin healthy during the summer is drink lots of water! Maintaining the moisture balance is not only important to prevent dehydration but also keep your skin clear and prevent breakouts. Use hydrating moisturisers suitable for your skin type. For a hydration boost, you can also try treatments like Aqua Infusion which perks up your skin.
- Rejuvenation: Your skin weathers a lot during the summer, and rejuvenation treatments like OxyGeneo can help you maintain good skin throughout the season.
- Sunscreen: We cannot stress this enough, but sunscreen use is one of the most important things you can do to protect and maintain your healthy skin. Not only does it protect you from dangerous UV rays, it prevents premature aging and uneven skin tones, which make you look weathered.
- Nutrition: A good nutrient rich diet keeps your overall body healthy, and the effects show up on your skin as well! Consume lots of fruits – rich in Vitamin C and other antioxidants they will give you a healthy glow! Avoid sugary drinks and if you need a cooling refreshment, try a glass of cold water or fresh juices with no added sugar.